Jen and Col's Excellent Adventure

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Singapore - it's small, but then it's very far away...

Just popping in for a look round on our way to Thailand.

I'll let Jen demonstrate a few things we've been up to. First there was the fresh coconuts...



then the fresh Tiger Beer (it's brewed here, so this is like culture, I think)... [yes Col, LIKE culture, but not ACTUALLY it]



There was eating with our fingers...



[Naturally i am eating so fast that the picture is a little blurry - Jen] and after all that there was time for a Singapore Sling. At the Raffles Hotel of course darling...



All sorts of people have turned up here over the years so there's a healthy mix of just about everything. They've got Hindu temples like the Sri Mariamman...



Chinese temples like the Yueh Hai Ching...



And due to a strong colonial influence there's slightly more important temples like this...



the Singapore Cricket Club. There are lots of skyscrapers towering over the older shops and cafes. Kind of like a reverse architectural mullet - business at the back, party at the front...



We took a cruise on the Singapore River ...



and saw the sights, including the Merlion...



Dreamed up in the '60s as an official mascot for the island it's been spitting on the tourists ever since. Did I mention we tried the local fast food? Much as the McSpicy sounded tempting, we went for the hawker stalls in Chinatown instead...



And that's that. We only stayed for 3 days and now we're in Kuala Lumpur. But that's a different blog.

Before I go, this week Kiddies Korner brings you - Kickapoo, the original Joy Juice!



Joy Juice!? What the hell is that? It just sounds wrong. And if you're feeling peckish then don't go here...



So close! My one regret in Singapore is not getting a photo of the Talk Cock Sing Song bar. Sorry children, I'll try harder next time.

Any words Jen?

I think that just about covers it Col although you seem to have missed out the fact that its sweltering here and humid too (that's true Jen, I've been sweating like a pig since we left Oz). So I think that its pretty impressive we managed to see anything considering my new best friend is air conditioning. Even at night it's like a steam bath. Talking of night times, we went to the night safari which is basically going to the zoo at night when the animals are more active. Due to it being dark, and not wanting to startle the leopards, there are no photos of this but we did hear the lions having a good old growl.

Thats all from Singapore, catch ya later.

7 Comments:

  • Good to know you're still out there, tearing your way around the globe.

    Googled 'Kickapoo joy juice'. Apprently it's based on a recipe in from a cartoon strip:

    'A liquor of such stupefying potency that the hardiest citizens of Dogpatch, after the first burning sip, rose into the air, stiff as frozen codfish. '

    So now you know. Probably just as well you didn't drink any! Or did you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:17 am  

  • Thanks Geoff. No we didn't try any but I'm heading off to the local 7-11 now to start looking.

    And thanks for the comment.

    Where's Tom??

    By Blogger Jen & Col, at 2:30 pm  

  • I thought the Night time Safari was the best Zoo trip I had ever been on! Glad you are having a fab time - although I greet each post with Joy and depression.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 pm  

  • hi sis! i'm still loving the stories, to me it's just like being there.
    Lots more please!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 pm  

  • I'm back. Flattered to know my pungent commentary was missed but I've been on a Far East expedition of my own. Far East of London, that is. And if you thought Third World conditions (see 'Crouching Jen' for tenuous tangential reference) don't exist in the UK, consider this: my mate, Richard, with whom I was supposed to be seeing the kick-bottom double bill of Trio Beyond and the PunkFunk Allstars at the Barbican (it was a toss-up between that and the 4th day of Eng v Pakistan at Lord's)......where was I? oh yes, Richard left Maidstone on Sunday evening (note Sunday, it's important) at 5.00pm to get to the Barbican at 7.00pm for a pre-gig drink. Unfortunately, he chose to use public transport and, not only did he not make it by 7.00pm, he gave up after over 3 hours and went home again, leaving behind a £25 ticket to see a one-off gig. Truly bizarre that a trip from England's most prosperous county to one of the 'great cities of the world' can't be achieved on a Sunday evening. Still, his wife and daughters were pleased to see him home again at just after 9.00pm.

    But enough about me. The blog continues to impress but I'm still concerned about the comfort level. Come on now, fresh coconuts, Singapore Slings at Raffles and drinking at the home of Tiger Beer isn't roughing it. No protestations about the need to search toilets for insect life, please, I want to hear about real hardship and struggle with only a deserted beach or a retina-busting sunset as your reward for days of trekking. In the meantime, mine's a G & T. xxx

    By Blogger Tom, at 9:24 pm  

  • Good effort on the double comment again Dave, I'll assume the mistakes are deliberate for our benefit. Enjoy Norfolk :-)

    My fault with the lack of blog addess, I thought you'd all have it memorised by now.

    Sorry Tom, but you lost me when you declined a day at the cricket.

    We are working on a slighty more earthy entry in the near future, there have been complaints that too much fun is being had and not enough hardship. We'll try and keep the viewers happy in the future.

    By Blogger Jen & Col, at 5:36 pm  

  • I know but what do you do when you're asked to choose between two unique events? In the end, there'll be another Sunday at Lord's but Trio Beyond and PunkFunk Allstars will never tour again and certainly not together. I rest my case.

    By the way, on this hardship thing, you don't have to ACTUALLY endure any, of course. Just say you've been trekking knee-deep in bugs, raw sewage and flesh-eating fish but really you could be in the Kuala Lumpur Sheraton. Just cut-and-paste some stock jungle photography. We'd be none the wiser over here. The shadenfreude thrill would be enough.

    By Blogger Tom, at 2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home